Urban & Regional Planning / Celebrating 100 Years at Illinois

100th Home  |   Department Milestones  |   Faculty Timeline   |  Events   |  Essays   |  Donate Now
Use the below to explore the timeline.
You can also use the scroll wheel on your mouse.

1912

The Division of Landscape Architecture created within the Department of Horticulture and library established.

1913

Charles Mulford Robinson appointed Professor of Civic Design in the Division of Landscape Architecture in the Department of Horticulture in the College of Agriculture.

1914

Student workshop study for Champaign and Urbana under guidance of Robinson.

1915

L. Deming Tilton graduates.

1920

The Bachelor of Science in Landscape Architecture approved. The degree has a concentration in city and regional planning.

Harland Bartholomew appointed to faculty and authors City Plan for East St. Louis.

1921

Karl B. Lohmann appointed to faculty.

1923

Harland Bartholomew, with Tilton as associate planner, authors The City Plan for Memphis Tennessee.

1924

Library moved to Mumford Hall.

1930

Bachelor of Science in the City Planning Option in Landscape Architecture.

Robert B. Mitchell graduates in architecture and is listed as Associate in Landscape Architecture.

Students take Ford Trimotor flight over Chicago for perspective on workshop class.

1931

Henry Wright teaching as non-resident lecturer.

The Division of Landscape Architecture restructured into the Department of Landscape Architecture in the newly formed College of Fine and Applied Arts.

Principles of City Planning, by Karl Lohmann published.

1934

The Bureau of Community Planning, an extension and research unit, established.

1935

Eldridge Lovelace graduates.

1936

Regional Planning, by Karl Lohmann published.

1945

The Master of City Planning degree approved.

1949

Calvin Hamilton graduates.

1953

The Bachelor of Fine Arts in City Planning created.

1954

The Department is renamed the Department of City Planning and Landscape Architecture, incorporating the Bureau of Community Planning. UIUC is one of sixteen university planning programs in the U.S.

1955

Louis B. Wetmore appointed Head of Department.

1957

Louis B. Wetmore President of American Institute of Planners.

1960

Department creates separate Divisions of Landscape Architecture and of City Planning.

1965

Two separate departments formed. The new Department of Urban and Regional Planning offers a Bachelor of Arts in Urban Planning and a Master of Urban Planning.

1968

William Goodman and Eric Freund edit Principles and Practice of Urban Planning ("Green Book").

1970

Professor Lachlan Blair teaches intro planning course using Illiville simulation.

1971

Michael Brooks appointed Head of Department.

1972

Department moves from Mumford Hall to houses on West Nevada.

1978

Carl Patton appointed Head of Department.

1983

The Ph.D. in Regional Planning authorized.

1984

Lew Hopkins appointed Head of Department.

1987

East St. Louis Action Research Project.

Gill Chin Lim and Lew Hopkins edit Journal of Planning Education and Research.

1995

The Department moves to Temple Hoyne Buell Hall.

1998

Christopher Silver appointed Head of Department.

2008

Edward Feser appointed Head of Department.

2013

???
           
 
     1905    1906  1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013