Robert B. Mitchell graduated from the University of Illinois in Architecture in 1930, and remained at Illinois for two years as an Associate in the Department of Landscape Architecture. The New York Times obituary refers to his “graduate work in urban studies.” Mitchell worked with Henry Wright, who was a non-resident lecturer at Illinois in 1931-32, on the planning of Radburn, New Jersey. Mitchell taught at the University of Chicago and Columbia and headed the Urban Section of the National Resources Planning Board. His greatest and sustained impact was in Philadelphia, where he was Director of the Planning Commission in the 1940s, then founded in 1951 and led the Department of City Planning at the University of Pennsylvania. His best known publication is Robert Mitchell and Chester Rapkin, Urban Traffic, A Function of Land Use, published in 1954. Mitchell joined the American City Planning Institute in 1936.