The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign appointed the first Professor of City Planning in the United States in Charles Mulford Robinson, who was welcomed to the Division of Landscape Architecture in 1913. Below are major milestones in the Department's history.
Here is a list of planning faculty at UIUC since 1913. Below are major milestones in the growth of the department.
The Division of Landscape Gardening initiates degree
program within the Department of Horticulture.
The Division of Landscape Architecture created. Only
Illinois and Harvard offer planning programs with studios
||Charles Mulford Robinson appointed Professor of Civic Design.
||The Bachelor of
Fine Arts in Landscape Architecture approved. The degree
has a concentration in city and regional planning.
||Library established in Mumford Hall.
The Division of Landscape Architecture restructured into the Department of Landscape
Architecture in the College of Fine and Applied Arts.
||The Bureau of Community Planning, an extension and research unit, established.
||The Master of City Planning degree approved.
||The Bachelor of Fine Arts in City Planning created.
The Department is renamed the Department of City Planning and Landscape Architecture, incorporating the Bureau of
Community Planning. UIUC is one of sixteen university planning programs in the U.S.
Two separate departments formed. The new Department of Urban and Regional Planning offers a Bachelor of Arts in Urban
Planning and a Master of Urban Planning.
||The Ph.D. in Regional Planning authorized.
||The Department moves to its current location in Temple Hoyne Buell Hall.