- Congratulations to Emily Blumenthal and Jizhe Yang, 2013 BAUP graduates, who both earned a Bronze Tablet. Bronze Tablet honors the top 3% of graduates from each college and these students receive special recognition and ragalia at graudation ceremonies, along with their names inscribed on the tablets in the first-floor corridors of the University Library.
- DURP has announced its 2013 Award Recipients. The recipients will be recognized at the department Convocation and Student Recognition Ceremony on Saturday, May 11, 2013.
- Congratulations to PhD student Sang Lee, and MUP student Christina Aujean Lee who have each been awarded a Jeffrey S. Tanaka Asian American Studies Grant. This grant is awarded to two graduate students who are conducting research directly related to Asian American Studies. As part of the grant, both students will be giving talks in the Asian American Studies Department in the upcoming school year about their findings and projects.
- Christina Aujean Lee, current MUP student, has been awarded a NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, for her research on "The Impacts of the Foreclosure Crisis on Asian Americans and the Mitigating Effects of Community-Based Organizations (CBOs)." This award makes her one of the only DURP students to win this prestigious award granted to graduate students nationwide.
- Stacy Harwood has been honored as a Community Partner at the City of Champaign 2013 STAR Expo and Awards Ceremony.
- Ken Salo has received a 2013 Ebony Excellence Award for Community-Campus Collaboration. This award, given by the Bruce D. Nesbitt African-American Cultural Center, honors students, faculty/staff, and community members who have positively impacted the African American community at the UIUC.
- Prof. Daniel Schneider’s book, Hybrid Nature: Sewage Treatment and the Contradictions of the Industrial Ecosystem, (MIT Press) was awarded the 2013 George Perkins Marsh Prize for best book in the field by the American Society for Environmental History.
- Arnab Chakraborty and former DURP professor Gerrit Knapp collaborated with five others to author a report released by the Living Cities Foundation and Urban Institute entitled
"Can federal efforts advance federal and local de-siloing? Lessons from the HUD-EPA-DOT
Partnership for Sustainable Communities."
- Arnab Chakraborty, and PhD students Dustin Allred and Robert Boyer, collaborated in a study citing zoning restrictions also a key factor in the foreclosure crisis
- PhD alum, Kanako Iuchi, co-author of World Bank publication about promoting transit in growing cities
- Bev Wilson focuses on Hoopeston, Illinois for an upcoming class
- Alice Novak quoted about possible demolition in Oregon, Illinois
- PhD alumnus Donovan Finn was quoted in a New York Times article
- Isserman Symposium presentations now available for online viewing.
- New video celebrating the College of Fine and Applied Arts
- Planetizen has ranked DURP's graduate programs 5th nationally for the second time
- Illinois one of 32 colleges considered highly welcoming to junior faculty
- U.S. News & World Report names Urban Planning one of 50 best careers in 2010
- Urban environmental fields listed among 10 Master's of the New Universe by the New York Times
Profiles & Projects:
A Minute With series:
Dan McMillen |
Geoffrey Hewings |
Rob Olshansky |
Opportunities, Scholarships & Competitions:
Upcoming Conferences & Events:
2013 ACSP Annual Conference, 30 October-2 November, Philadelphia, PA
2014 APA National Conference, 26-30 April, 2014, Atlanta, GA