Department of Urban & Regional Planning | Illinois

Department of Urban & Regional Planning

To Do | Orientation | Department of Urban & Regional Planning | Illinois

Things To Do Before Fall Semester Begins


The i-card is the official University of Illinois identification card, providing access to facilities and academic services across campus.


Most students need access to password protected services on a daily basis. Take a look at this site to start figuring this out!

Campus Computing

Learn about campus technology, computing services and computer recommendations.

Campus Email Setup

Get your university email account set up ASAP (the university is in the middle of changing student email providers, by fall graduate students will have MS Exchange accounts). DURP communicates with MUP students through email and will send information to your university account starting on the first day of class. NOTE: If you prefer to use another account (gmail, yahoo, etc), please forward email from the university account to your preferred email account. Instructions for redirecting your university email to another account can be found here:

Course Registration

You are welcome to begin this process on your own - At the orientation we will talk about the curriculum and electives in the department. The required courses for entering MUP students are the following:

  • UP503 / Physical Planning (CRN 31063)
  • UP504 / Urban History and Theory (CRN 52513)
  • UP509 / Economics for Planners (CRN 52192)

In addition to these three courses you will take one elective. You will be emailed a list of suggestions in a few weeks. Take a look at the fall schedule to learn about course offerings on your own as well: Please contact Jane Terry if you have any difficulties with registration and stop by or call Jane in the afternoons from 12:30 to 5:00, 217-244-5401.

DURP Payroll & I-9 Forms

Many of you will be teaching, research or graduate assistants. AFTER you receive the offer letter, please stop by the DURP office. The offer letter will be e-mailed to you by early August.

If you are a domestic student bring a signed and dated offer letter, social security card, and driver's license.

If you are an international student bring a signed and dated offer letter, I-20, I-94, passport, and Temporary Control Number (TCN). Students receive an assigned TCN on their Notice of Acceptance (NOA). If you do not have a copy of the NOA, then go to the i-card office to get a TCN before stopping by to fill out the I-9 paper work.

We cannot pay you if this paper work has not been completed by August 16th! If all the paper work is completed on time, then you will receive your first paycheck on September 16th. Stop by the DURP office between 9-11:30am and 1-4pm and ask to speak with Mike Wellens. If you have questions about payroll, email or call Mike at or 217-244-5398.

Looking for Funding?

The Assistantship Clearinghouse lists hourly positions and assistantships available to graduate students at the University.

MUP Orientation

Review the MUP Orientation webpages.