UP 503: Site and Physical Planning
Assignment 5c - Green Infrastructure
In this section, we will focus on the identification of potential green infrastructure resoursces and connections in the Champaign County Region. For this assignment:
- Review regional information
- Focus on the big picture
- land cover data
- stream networks (water)
- urbanized areas
- soil types
- Assess the region for potential green infrastructure connections
- Identify regional hubs (a hierarchy of hubs?)
- Identify connecting corridors (hierarchical?)
- Discuss the potential value of the GI identified in your solution
- Describe how you determined the value
- what are the charactersitics being valused
- what tool/how did you calculate it?
Based on the open spaces, streams etc. analyze potential constraining development characteristics (for example you might locate areas critical to the green infrastructure of the region and therefore not develop-able). You may want to bring in other shapefiles that you find relevant (eg. parks, open spaces etc.) to identify the connections.
Make a map or maps and explain your ideas, label and annotate the map(s) accordingly.
Submit your solution in memo format adressed to your TA in a single PDF file formatted as 5c_[Last Name]_[NetID].pdf and submit it in the assignment dropbox before start of next lab on Oct 11.
Return to Course Web Page --->