What do Planners do?
Urban planning is a systematic, creative way to influence the future of cities and regions at a variety of scales: neighborhoods, entire communities, metropolitan regions, rural areas, and even the world. Urban and regional planners use their professional skills to serve communities facing social, economic, environmental, and cultural challenges by helping community residents to:
- develop ways to preserve and enhance their quality of life;
- find methods to protect the natural and built environment;
- identify policies to promote equity and equality;
- structure programs to improve services to disadvantaged communities; and
- determine methods to deal effectively with growth and development of all kinds.